Science tournaments started to develop in Saint-Petersburg in the 2000s. The first tournament for school students was organized in 2000. The second one took place in 2001 and after it was a 5 years break.
Only in 2006 tournament activity started again in Saint-Petersburg. The organizing committee headed by student Sergey Safonov started a new age of science tournaments in Russia. In 2006-2009 there was only a local chemical tournament for school students. In 2010 started first university student tournament. The name International Natural Sciences Tournament (INST) was invented in 2011 and from that year student tournaments became not only international but also interdisciplinary.
Every year International Natural Sciences Tournament attracts the brightest minds from former Soviet Union countries and starts to attract people from other regions. In 2013 first teams from Estonia (EU) and India participated in INST. Since then, participants from more than 25 countries took part in INST.
Winners of INSTs
2010 Ukraine, Kyiv National University (captain - Alexandra Souvorova)
2011 Ukraine, Kyiv National University (captain - Konstantyn Nifantiev)
2012 Russia, Novosibirsk State University (captain - Ivan Serbin)
2013 Russia, Saint-Petersburg State University (captain - Anastasia Ananyan)
2014 Russia, Tomsk Polytechnic University and Saint Petersburg State University (captain - Bogdan Sakhnevich)
2015 Russia, Kazan Federal University (captain - Mikhail Yagofarov)
2016 Singapore, National University of Singapore (captain - Tan Jin Hui)
2018 Singapore, National University of Singapore (captain - Kim Mu Youngi)
2019 South Africa, University of the Free State
2020 Russia, Novosibirsk State University
2021 Singapore, Benthos team
Participants of INSTs inherited our mission - science may solve practical, real-life problems. Some of our participants founded their own tournaments including
- ChemCamp (since 2013) - tournament of International Chemistry Forum ChemCamp, Moscow. Founded by Ivan Aksenov and Co
- Medical Tournament (since 2014) - tournament of medicine. Fill yourself as a Doctor House! Founded by Elizaveta Pustovoit and Co
- Biology Tournament (since 2013) - tournament of applied biology problems. Founded by Daria Vetoshkina
- Chemistry tournament for school students in Moscow. Founded in 2011 by Alexey Chepiga, Gleb Aleshin and Vladimir Korolev
- Chemistry tournament in Ekaterinburg. Founded in 2014 by Anna Zykova.